Friday 3 April 2020

Dealing with data

What ideas has this given to you for working with your kids in the coming weeks?
  • As we are currently using an online approach to teaching this is the perfect opportunity to track and measure student engagement. This data could look at students interaction in the Google Meet forum, understanding and seeing clarification of tasks, completing tasks, sharing tasks, students feeding back on other students learning and feedback from the teacher. This data could also record the contact between parent and teacher and how that impacts students learning.
  • This data could be used to formulate a plan going into Term 2 (still currently in lockdown) and how my learning programmes could become more effective. It could help improve communication with family and change the way information is delivered on the class site so it is clear.
  • Using google maps to discuss our different backgrounds and share our heritage online together could be a great way to continue to grow our class community.

What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

  • The importance of  LEARN CREATE SHARE. Everything we teach has to be purposeful and have meaning. We use tasks to practice a skill we have tried to teach our students. The task is the opportunity to create. The magic really happens when the students get the chance to SHARE. Through the sharing process the students naturally reflect on their process, skills, next steps and outcome. They seek guidance and advice from their peers and sometimes the teacher. 
  • I have noticed over the past couple of days of teaching online that students are independently emailing me to clarify learning tasks. I think this is a massive step as they are not asking their parents anymore, they are actually taking responsibility for their own learning. so exciting!

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

  • Using Google sheets.
  • Learning why data is so important for tracking progress and implementing independent learning plans.
  • Using Google Maps
What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  

  • Google forms was really helpful. It could gather student voice and be used as an assessment tool. It could also be used to gauge students understanding and need for additional clarification.
  • Data collection using Sheets to formulate next steps.
What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?
  • I need to make time to practice using sheets in a meaningful way.
  • Use Google forms to collect student voice regularly.

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jess,
    Google forms are so powerful and so simple. I'm glad you can see ways to use with your learners. Collecting student voice is so important and even more so now with remote learning. I look forward to seeing how you do this with your learners. Can you see learners creating and using forms too?

    Ngā mihi,
    Maria
    Ng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria
    Thank you for your comment. I have just this weekend sent out a Google form to my students. The purpose of the form was to gage at what level they feel comfortable using their device without parent support. Some parents will be working from home after the school holidays and I want to pitch my learning activities at a level where all my students can work independently. My questions to find out their digital fluency were based around their learning wish list for Term 2. It has been great to receive some feedback and very helpful for my planning.

    Thanks again
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear. Did you know you create quizzes with google forms too? https://www.controlaltachieve.com/2017/10/24-form-tips.html

      Delete