Thursday 12 March 2020

Connecting


Workflow session Week 2

  • What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?
Early in the session joined our colleagues in a Google Meet. Lenva shared with us her journey with the Manaiakalani Pedagogy and showed us a slide show that shared her views clearly. She flicked through each side as she talked to us through Google Meet.
Click below to view her slides.


Lenva discussed the importance of high quality teaching. She mentioned that Chromebooks are not just a tool. She used the words Empowering connected visual and Ubiquitous. I sent time discussing with Sarah M what these words ment. Lenva shared that the teacher has to model skills and create a frequent opportunity for children to build up their digital fluency. 


  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

Google Meet was amazing. I feel like I could really engage my class being able to show them how to use sites or apps. They could watch me as I do it and then break off into groups to explore and create together. Learning through teaching is a really powerful component of the Manaiakalani way.

We discussed the importance of feeling connected and that our learning, mahi, outcome, journey, ideas, contributions are valuable. I think using the blog, our class site and in class opportunities to share the learning our students are changing their attitude towards learning. They are managing themselves better when working independently. They know their is an audience and want to do their best learning as others will be able to see it.


It is also important for the teachers to share their resources, knowledge and experiences. As teachers we are all driven to accelerate our learners. If a teacher is having success with a programme or an activity, it makes sense that we share that. It is also important to keep researching and trying new things. We are developing at a rapid pace in the digital sector and for our students to stay current we must stay current.

Visible - their learning is shared with a wide audience, it is used, it has purpose, peers and family can look, discuss, post about their learning. The teacher models learning and the journey towards digital fluency. Digital learning becomes just the way it is.

Ubiquitous - for all. Everyone can access and have success through learning in this way.

  • What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  

Google Meet

Embedding slides into the blog and sharing it with other schools and classes.

Setting up Keep for things they are interested in. A digital "I Wonder? Board".

Changing their themes for their Gmail account.

Setting up Google Calendars for our class and school.

  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?
Being organised and using the wide range of add ons that can help with that. Setting up folders, separating out calendars, setting up a Keeps board all contributes to managing the massive amounts of things we are able to store digitally.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Jessica, Great to read the wide-ranging thinking that is going on. I agree that unpacking the words and understanding these is import to spend time on.
    You mention Keep as a digital I wonder board. Have you heard of Jamboard? Try this with your learners for an I wonder board.
    Ngā mihi
    Maria

    ReplyDelete